Adaptive Tactics [AT] Job Grades
Adaptive Tactics [AT] has three main job categories: Data Engineer, Software Engineer & Data Scientist; each of which has several associated grade levels that reflect seniority and skill capabilities.
|Level||[AI] Grade Level||Government or Academic Equivalent||Min Years
(BS, MS, PhD)
|3||Assistant||GS-9 or Academic Instructor||3, 2, 0|
|4||Associate||GS-11 or Assistant Professor||4, 3, 1|
|5||Engineer||GS-12 or Associate Professor||6, 4, 2|
|6||Senior||GS-13 or Full Professor||9, 6, 4|
|7||Principal||GS-14 or Distinguished Professor||12, 8, 6|
|8||Senior Principal||GS-15 or Academic Department Head||16, 12, 10|
|9||Fellow||IEEE Fellow, Senior Executive Service (SES), or Academic Dean||20, 16, 14|
AI Grade Levels
AI models its staffing seniority grade levels to the engineering levels established by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), adding a few clarifying attributes because of overlap. The table above shows the [AI] grade level in comparison to its equivalent in government or academic career level and the engineering or science degree minimum years required by bachelor (B.S.), masters (M.S.), or doctorate (Ph.D).
- Equivalent to GS-9 or Academic Instructor.
- IEEE Assistant Engineer Level 3: Independently evaluates, selects, and applies standard engineering techniques, procedures and criteria. Assignments have clear and specific objectives. Uses judgement in making adaptations and modifications. This level requires developmental experience in a professional position or equivalent graduate-level education. Candidates receive instructions on specific assignment objectives, complex features, and possible solutions. Assistance is furnished on unusual problems. Work is reviewed for application of professional judgment. May supervise or coordinate the work of drafters or technicians.
- Requires a thorough working knowledge in a specialized or intellectual field of study such as engineering, computer science or programing or related field. Applies advanced principles, theories and concepts to multiple specialty areas.
- Plans, schedules and integrates a range of interrelated tasks with limited direction.
- Results are generally shared with team or manager upon completion. Recommends and proposes ways to integrate plans and schedules of other projects. Regularly performs independent analysis, development and implementation of solutions to complex problems. Resolves a wide range of issues in creative ways. Builds productive internal or external working relationships.
- Regularly makes decisions directly impacting the success of one project.
- Integrates plans and objectives across workgroups or project teams within the organization.
- BS with 3+, MS with 2+, PhD 0 years’ experience.
- Equivalent to GS-11 or Assistant Professor.
- IEEE Associate Engineer Level 4: A fully competent engineer in the subject matter or the functional areas of the assignments. Successful candidates plan and conduct work requiring judgment in the evaluation, selection, and adaptation or modification of standard techniques, procedures, and criteria. Devises new approaches for problems. Requires professional experience to assure competence as a professional. For research positions, a doctoral degree may be substituted for experience. Independently performs assignments with instructions regarding the general results expected. Receives technical guidance on unusual or complex problems and supervisory approval for projects. Work is collaborative with a higher-grade engineer and may involve supervising a few engineers or technicians on assigned work.
- Requires an advanced working knowledge in a highly specialized or intellectual field of study such as engineering, computer science or programing or a related field. Widely applies advanced principles, theories and concepts to most specialty areas.
- Integrates and coordinates multiple schedules to ensure the timely completion of several independent projects.
- General outcome is shared upon completion. Independently develops and implements practical solutions to a broad range of complex issues. Analysis consistently requires an in-depth evaluation of a variety of factors with moderate supervisory guidance. Functions as a thought leader in a single-project team.
- Regularly makes significant decisions directly impacting the success of one or more projects, or adjacent workgroup functions.
- Consults with senior management.
- B.S. with 4+, M.S. with 3+, Ph.D. with 1+ years’ experience.
- Equivalent to GS-12 or Associate Professor.
- IEEE Engineer Level 5: Grade 5 engineers apply intensive and diversified knowledge of engineering principles and practices in broad areas of assignments. This level requires the use of advanced techniques and the modification and extension of theories, precepts, and practices of own field and related sciences or disciplines. Knowledge and expertise result from progressive experience. Consults supervisor concerning unusual problems and developments. Receives technical guidance on unusual or complex problems and supervisory approval for projects. Projects are typically reviewed by a management review committee. Supervises, coordinates, and reviews the work of a small staff of engineers and technicians. Estimates personnel needs, schedules and assigns work.
- Requires broad expertise or unique knowledge in a highly specialized or intellectual field of study such as engineering, computer science or programing or a related field. Integrates working knowledge of other disciplines into innovative solutions and applications.
- Plans and schedules the development and implementation of multiple long-term and complex projects.
- Utilizes depth and breadth of expertise in resolving issues of greater significance or analysis of unique issues requiring evaluation of intangibles. Designs innovative solutions to complex problems. Performs single-project analysis to identify low-level commonalities for optimization to more effectively implement solutions with some supervisory guidance. Leads single-project as technical manager that elaborates development tasks and mentors other staff on low-level methods.
- Makes decisions independently on engineering problems and methods, and represents the organization to resolve important questions.
- Consistently makes decisions regarding the overall goals and objectives of significant programs or segments of the organization.
- B.S. with 6+, M.S. with 4+, Ph.D. with 2+ years’ experience.
- Equivalent to GS-13 or Full Professor.
- IEEE Senior Engineer Level 6: A Senior Engineer takes technical responsibility for interpreting, organizing, executing, and coordinating assignments. Plans and develops engineering projects with unique or controversial problems which impact major company programs. Involves exploration of subject area, definition of scope and selection of problems for investigation, novel concepts and approaches. Maintains liaison with individuals and units within or outside the organization, with responsibility for acting independently on technical matters. Seeks periodic guidance on complex problems, with supervisory approval for higher risk projects. Evaluates progress and results obtained, recommends major changes to achieve objectives. Supervision received is administrative, with assignments given in terms of general objectives and limits. Plans, organizes, and supervises the work of a staff of engineers and technicians.
- Requires an advanced working knowledge in one or more highly specialized or intellectual fields of study such as engineering, computer science or programing or a related field. Integrates the advanced working knowledge of other disciplines. Demonstrates consistent innovation and creativity in approach.
- Prioritizes and elaborates development strategy, plans, and implementation of multiple projects.
- Utilizes depth and breadth of expertise in resolving issues of greater significance or analysis of unique issues that require evaluation of intangibles. Consistently applies strategic thinking to develop and drive solutions to a wide range of theoretical and practical problems, which require a high degree of innovation and ingenuity. Performs multi-project optimization analysis which identify low-level commonalities in order to implement more effective solutions with little supervisory guidance. Leads multiple and/or critical teams and interfaces with customers regarding issues impacting the customer relationship.
- Consistently makes decisions that directly impact the performance and direction of the organization.
- Forecasts future internal or external needs and impacts planning objectives and strategies for the organization.
- B.S. with 9+, M.S. with 6+, Ph.D. with 4+ years’ experience.
- Equivalent to GS-14 or Distinguished Professor.
- IEEE Principal Engineer Level 7: A Principal Engineer initiates and maintains extensive contact with key engineers and officials of other organizations and companies, requiring skill in persuasion and negotiation of critical issues. Demonstrates creativity, foresight, and mature engineering judgment in anticipating and solving unprecedented engineering problems, program objectives and requirements, organizing programs, and developing standards and guides for diverse engineering activities. Has experience with subject area, definition of scope and knowledge of problems for investigation, novel concepts and approaches. Receives general administrative direction. As an individual researcher and consultant, may be assisted on individual projects by other engineers or technicians. Identifies and scopes derived objectives to manage derived requirements. Directs several subordinate supervisors or team leaders.
- Requires expertise in several highly specialized or intellectual fields of study such as engineering, computer science or programing or a related field of study. Integrates in-depth knowledge of several disciplines. Leads the design, development and implementation of highly advanced new technologies and approaches.
- Conducts strategic planning to determine the future direction of the organization and ensure continued growth and success.
- Level of success is determined through attainment of organizational goals. Consistently uses innovative logic to drive state-of-the-art solutions for highly complex problems and extends the understanding of a given field. Independently performs multi-project optimization analysis to identify mid-level commonalities in order to implement more effective solutions. Leads multi-project teams as a technical manager who elaborates development tasks and mentors staff on mid-level methods.
- Makes decisions and recommendations that are recognized as authoritative and have an important impact on extensive engineering activities.
- Regularly makes decisions that have a global or long-lasting impact on the business, reputation, posture or image of the organization.
- B.S. with 12+, M.S. with 8+, Ph.D. with 6+ years’ experience.
- Equivalent to GS-15 or Academic Department Head.
- IEEE Senior Principal Engineer Level 8: Makes decisions and recommendations that are recognized as authoritative and have a far-reaching impact on extensive engineering and related activities of the company. Negotiates critical and controversial issues with top-level engineers and officers of other organizations and companies. Demonstrates a high degree of creativity, foresight, and knowledge with subject area, potential problems for investigation, novel concepts and approaches. Receives general administrative direction. As an individual researcher and consultant, may be assisted on individual projects by other engineers or technicians. Formulates system and derived requirements that meet or exceed the intent of program goals but were not explicitly provided. Validates with customer. Supervises several subordinate managers, team leaders or technical staff.
- Understanding of software development best practices and processes and has experience with embedded operating systems. Work-related experience in software architecture or algorithm development.
- Responsible for preparing project cost-estimates and managing projects to completion within budget and schedule constraints.
- Provide technical direction for the development, engineering, interfacing, integration, and testing of all components of complex hardware/software systems to include requirements elicitation, analysis and functional allocation, conducting system requirements reviews, developing concepts of operation and interface standards, developing system architectures, and performing technical/non-technical assessment and management as well as end-to-end flow analysis. Applies and/or develops highly advanced technologies and concepts exhibiting an exceptional degree of ingenuity, creativity and resourcefulness in the architecture, design and concepts consistent with system requirements and interface design. Communicates with other program personnel, government overseers, and senior executives. Is an organized, highly skilled professional, with excellent team leadership skills.
- Analyzes system requirements and leads design and development activities.
- Identifies and directs resolution of complex hardware/software interface issues; is a subject matter expert on emerging technologies; directs the development of system specifications and technical documentation.
- B.S. with 16+, M.S. with 12+, Ph.D. with 10+ years’ experience.
- Equivalent to IEEE Fellow, Senior Executive Service (SES) or Academic Dean.
- IEEE Fellow Engineer Level 9: Included in Grade 9 are those engineers specifically excluded from Grade 8, plus other engineers whose activities and responsibilities exceed those of prior levels. Ability to translate client needs into distinctive solutions. In addition to technical skills, a fellow must also demonstrate technical leadership as a capture leader as a principal investigator (PI). Ability to effectively lead and manage a team of engineers through all phases of the project lifecycle to include planning, execution, implementation, and delivery. Responsible for providing oversight and technical leadership to a multi-disciplined team in the development of innovative design solutions. Prioritizes research directions with latest project relevant innovation topics. Determines value of research topics for actual solution implementation. Train, mentor, and lead our team of data scientists, ensuring that their strategies are on point, comprehensive, and implemented in an effective and timely way for each specific project.
- Working knowledge and understanding of the government acquisition process, the DFAR and acquisition strategy development. Ability to contribute to and review technical proposals.
- Sets annual schedule and development priorities for research and program implementation.
- Drive efforts to shape and secure contracts from primarily Federal Government organizations. Participate in technical and cost proposal writing teams providing technical solutions, development plans, technical write-ups, cost and schedule estimates and the documentation for the basis of estimate. Ability to constructively engage with all levels of management to communicate the technical approach, trade-offs, and technical decisions. Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to gain support and establish working relationships with program/project managers, technical leads, SMEs, peers, and staff.
- Has demonstrated an outstanding level of professionalism, including ability to exercise good judgment, discretion, tact, and diplomacy.
- Possesses sound business ethics, including the protection of proprietary and confidential information.
- B.S. with 20+, M.S. with 16+, Ph.D. with 14+ years’ experience.